- Charles University is consistently ranked as the No. 1 Computer Science school in the Czech Republic.
- Charles University ranks among the top 2 % of universities worldwide.
- Long tradition dating back to the 14th century.
- Internationally recognized degrees.
- Even undergraduate courses are taught by prominent and distinguished researchers.
- Individual approach to students. The ratio of students to professors is only around 13:1.
- Our graduates are successful and often reach careers in companies such as Google, Facebook, IBM, GoodData, Oracle, SAS, Deloitte, Novartis, Two Sigma and Avast.
- Charles University is located right in the historical city centre of Prague.
- Students have the opportunity to work directly with a range of our commercial sector partners, and thus developing and implementing real-life assignments.
- More than 40 % of internet peering centres worldwide use the BIRD routing server, which is a software that originated as a student project at our university.
Admission and entrance exams
How to Apply:
It must be noted that the admission process slightly differs based on the chosen field of study and study level. For more information take a look at our website.
Generally, it is required to:
1. Take the standardized tests (SAT, ACT, TOEFL, …) and submit your scores.
We strongly recommend that applicants complete their standardized tests in time.
2. Collect all required documents and information including:
- personal details (name, date and place of birth, citizenship, permanent address, correspondence address, email address, passport number),
- name and address of your secondary school,
- school leaving certificate, related documents and standardized test scores.
3. Fill in the electronic application form.
- Additionally, you can view a sample application in pdf here; it consists of a Czech and English part. Please note that the pdf that is generated from your online application is for your reference only; in particular, please do not send it to us.
4. Submit the application online.
If you have any questions regarding your application, do not hesitate to send us an email (email@example.com). Please make sure to upload with your application all the required documents as specified above. For TOEFL, SAT, ACT and IB, you should have your test scores sent directly to Charles University, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics. Here are our institution codes: TOEFL 3184, SAT 7249, ACT 6790, IB 000147.
The application fee is 760 CZK (around 30 EUR). Please note that an application cannot be processed without the required documents having been received, nor can it be processed if the application fee has not been paid. Also, for enrolment we require an official copy of every document that you have submitted with your application (i.e., to submit your application a scanned copy of the relevant document is sufficient, but to complete the admission process you must provide an official document – e.g., a copy verified by a notary, or an original).
Notification: All wire transfer fees are paid by applicants.
5. What happens then?
After we have received your complete application, the review committee will carefully process all applications. If your application is successful, we will send you a letter of acceptance and an information pack explaining the next stage of the admission process. If your application is not successful, you will receive a letter from us as well to be informed properly.
The applications deadline is 30th April 2020. Applicants from outside the European Union and the Schengen Zone are advised to apply well before the deadline to have enough time for obtaining a Student Visa or Long-Term Residence Permit for the Czech Republic.
Tuition Fees for Bachelor’s and Master’s Programmes:
- The tuition fee for students from the EU is 84 000 CZK (around 3100 EUR) per academic year, for students from outside the EU 140 000 CZK (around 5100 EUR) per academic year.
Tuition Fee for PhD Programmes:
- 150 000 CZK (around 5800 EUR) per academic year. Exceptional students may consider applying for a tuition fee waiver. The final decision on awarding a tuition fee waiver rests with the dean of the faculty and is based on the academic performance of the applicant in his/her previous education, research activity around the intended research topic, language skills, and ability to cooperate with others. An application for a tuition fee waiver, including supporting material, should be submitted together with the application for the PhD programme.
Study Physics in Prague: There Is No Science Without Students
Matfyz opens a new English Master programme, and international students thus have a chance to study physics at one the m…
Today, Charles University’s world-class research is the foundation for its high-quality education. It offers bachelor’s, master’s and PhD programmes. Teaching and research go hand in hand, both in our vision and work. Even undergraduate courses are taught by prominent and distinguished researchers. These include Jaroslav Nešetřil, Jiří Sgall and Jan Kratochvíl, to name a few. You can look up these people at Microsoft Academic Search or Google Scholar.
In our curriculum we put a strong emphasis on ideas and concepts that have stood the test of time and that will endure. At the same time, we provide opportunities to become acquainted with modern research and technologies. While providing a high-quality education, we strive to maintain a friendly academic environment with an individual approach to students.
At Charles University we use the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).
Average living costs in Prague range from 400 to 600 EUR per month, including accommodation, meals, public transport, and leisure activities. For our students we provide convenient and affordable accommodation in student dormitories.