Working during studies

4. 11. 2019 | Alumni and Career

working-in-the-czech-republicMany students in the Czech Republic study and work at the same time. Although there are some scholarship options for students enrolled at Czech universities, it is rarely possible to live solely from this budget, so it is quite common for students to have a part-time job.

International students might find the language barrier a bit limiting when looking for a job in the Czech Republic since most jobs require fluency in the Czech language, but there are still numerous working options for international students, especially in big cities, where many international companies reside and operate.

The conditions of working in the Czech Republic differ depending on your nationality and on whether you are a full-time student or a graduate:


Citizens of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland and their family members do not need an employment permit, Employee Card or Blue Card to be employed on the territory of the Czech Republic. These nationals have the same legal status as citizens of the Czech Republic, as the country is a member of the European Union. For detailed information, go to the website of the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs of the Czech Republic.


Students coming from a third country (i.e. not an EU/EAA country or Switzerland) can work in the Czech Republic only after obtaining an employment permit. There are some exceptions though:

  • Third country students studying in the Czech Republic in a present (daily) form of studies in a degree programme accredited by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports do not need a work permit.
  • Third country students who are exchange students or study in a distance form of studies are allowed to work without an employment permit too, but only if they are up to the age of 26 and their performance of work does not exceed 7 consecutive calendar days or a total of 30 days within a calendar year.

In all other cases, students from non-EU/EEA countries may be employed in the Czech Republic only after they have obtained an employment permit and a residence permit, or an Employee Card or a Blue Card (both cards combine a work permit and a residence permit in one document). Students should apply for the employment permit at any locally appropriate regional office of the Public Employment Office. The procedure of application for such a permit is described here.

The work permit is issued for a definite period of time, a maximum of two years, however; a foreigner may even apply for an employment permit repeatedly. The permit is only valid for the employment with the employer specified in the decision, if anything relevant change, the foreigner has to apply at the locally competent regional office of the Public Employment Service for a new employment permit.

For more information, visit the portal of the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs of the Czech Republic. To obtain legal advice, contact the Integration Centre Prague or the Association for Integration and Migration.


When looking for a job during your studies, contact the career center and info desk at your university first, as the faculties should have contacts in a variety of industries. You should also ask your friends, classmates, local students or professors for advice and tips. Besides, you can start your search through the job portals or contact a chosen company directly.

The most popular job portals in the Czech Republic are:

See more articles on the topic